Understanding your turtle or tortoise is one of the main keys you should never forget for them to be able to have a healthier and long life. Turtles and tortoises are creatures made to swim and to eat a lot that is why you must be a keen observer when they are starting not to feel well. You must know the symptoms of certain diseases to help your pet recuperate with their illnesses.
When understanding your turtle or tortoise, you must also have the knowledge when it comes to their basic needs such as food, shelter and even meds for them to have a happy life with you and your family. You as their keeper must have a heart to understand their feelings as well as their every day needs.
Here are some of the guidelines you must bear in mind when understanding your turtle or tortoise for them to live a long period of time:
1. Make sure that you will clean their enclosure once a week to make sure that there are no certain bacteria or infection that are starting to accumulate their area.
2. Visit your vet as often as needed to prevent future health problems.
3. Female turtles have a tendency to grow bigger than male turtles so it is better to keep them outdoors thus safe from any predators.
4. You need a 40 gallon tank of water for most turtles.Remember some turtles or torotise can grow twice as their hatchling’s size.
5. Certain minerals are essential for the health of your turtles such as vitamin D3, calcium and phosphorus and you can find these minerals in food s such as boiled eggshell, crushed, plaster block, cuttlebone and crushed oyster shell.
6. You must provide them the right kinds of food they need to attain healthy immune system.
7. Change the water from the aquarium as often as needed.
8. Do not let the dirt and moss reside on the surface of the aquarium.
Now that you have learned some of the guidelines you need to know regarding understanding turtle or tortoise, you are now ready to make your pet’s life a healthy and happy one. Their lives will depend on your won hands so make sure you provide them all the right needs they must attain in their lives. Understanding your turtle or tortoise will not only make your pet life long and healthier but you as a keeper will get numerous benefits too.